11ProbHw6 - IEOR 3658 Assignment #6 Probability October 19,...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: IEOR 3658 Assignment #6 Probability October 19, 2011 Prof. Mariana Olvera-Cravioto Page 1 of 2 Assignment #6 due October 26th, 2011 1. A Cure for the Common Cold. The number of times that an individual contracts a cold in a given year is a Poisson random variable with parameter = 5. Suppose a new wonder drug (based on large quantities of vitamin C) that has just been marketed reduces the Poisson parameter to = 3 for 75 percent of the population. For the other 25 percent of the population, the drug has no effect on colds. If an individual tries the drug for a year and has 2 colds in that time, what is the probability that the drug is beneficial to that individual? 2. John has a can of seeds with no label. He is sure that they are either of plant type A or of type B, not both. John has assigned a probability of P ( A ) = P ( B ) = 0 . 5, where A is the event that the seeds are of type A and B the event that the seeds are of type B. We know that each plant grown from seeds A will have white flowers with probability 0.25, while plantsthat each plant grown from seeds A will have white flowers with probability 0....
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 12/11/2011 for the course IEOR 3658 taught by Professor Olvera during the Fall '08 term at Columbia.

Page1 / 2

11ProbHw6 - IEOR 3658 Assignment #6 Probability October 19,...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online