Bohr returned to Denmark and resumed his role at the Copenhagen Institute

Bohr returned to Denmark and resumed his role at the Copenhagen Institute

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: Bohr returned to Denmark and resumed his role at the Copenhagen Institute. The homecoming brought tears to many eyes, and a large celebration was planned to celebrate his sixtieth birthday. Interest in atomic energy was inevitable and soon occupied many minds at the Institute. Following his failure to induce political action, Bohr urged the scientific community to take the first steps toward cooperation. He hoped that prewar bonds could be reestablished and strengthened, so that physics itself could lay the foundation for international cooperation. In 1951 Bohr called a meeting of Institute alumni. Representatives of fourteen European countries met in Copenhagen to plan the Conseil Européenne Recherche Nucléaire (CERN), of which Bohr became chairman. The program called for a research facility that would cost about $28 million, and the Geneva establishment would undoubtedly become the most advanced European institute devoted to research free of commercial and military influence. 1955 saw the meeting of the Atoms for Peace Conference, where 1,200 delegates from seventy­two nations convened in Geneva. Two years later an Atoms for Peace award was sponsored by the Ford Motor Company Fund, and the committee unanimously chose Bohr as its first recipient. No one had shown his commitment to the cause, and no one better symbolized the struggle to harness atomic energy for use beneficial rather than destructive to humanity. Over the last years of his life, Bohr continued to lecture all over the world. In June of 1962, Bohr went to attend a conference in Germany, where he suffered a slight cerebral hemorrhage. Although he appeared to make a rapid recovery, several months later, he died in his home after complaining of a headache. He was seventy­seven years old. ...
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 12/12/2011 for the course HIST 1320 taught by Professor Murphy during the Fall '08 term at Texas State.

Ask a homework question - tutors are online