Chapter 7 Gases
1) Which of the following is NOT part of the kinetic theory of gases?
A) A gas is composed of very small particles.
B) There is very little empty space in a gas.
C) Gas particles move rapidly.
D) Gas particles do not attract or repel one another.
E) Gas particles move faster when the temperature increases.
2) According to the kinetic theory of gases, a gas can be compressed much more than a liquid or solid because
A) a gas is composed of very small particles.
B) the particles of a gas are very far apart.
C) gas particles move rapidly.
D) gas particles do not attract or repel one another.
E) gas particles move faster when the temperature increases.
3) According to the kinetic theory of gases, particles of a gas
A) are very large.
B) are very far apart.
C) lose their valence electrons.
D) move slowly.
E) decrease kinetic energy as temperature increases.
4) In the kinetic molecular theory of gas behavior, particles of a gas tend to move ________ and collisions between
them are ________.
A) rapidly; rare
B) slowly; rare
C) rapidly; elastic
D) slowly; elastic
E) slowly; unusual
5) The force of gas particles against the walls of a container is called
D) quantity of gas.
6) Which measurement describes the pressure of a gas?
A) 315 K
B) 1.2 g/L
C) 2.5 L
D) 725 mm Hg
E) 0.45 moles
7) The unit of 1 atmosphere used to describe the pressure of a gas is equal to
A) 1 mm Hg .
B) 100 mm Hg.
C) 200 mm Hg.
D) 600 mm Hg.
E) 760 mm Hg.
8) A 5.00
L tank contains helium gas at 1.50 atm. What is the pressure of the gas in mm Hg?
A) 1.50 mm Hg
B) 507 mm Hg
C) 760 mm Hg
D) 1140 mm Hg
E) 7.5 mm Hg
9) The boiling point of water at sea level is 100°C. At higher altitudes, the boiling point of water will be
A) lower, because temperatures are lower.
B) lower, because the atmospheric pressure is lower.
C) higher, because the altitude is greater.
D) higher, because there are fewer water molecules in the air.
E) the same, because water always boils at 100°C.
10) Vapor pressure can be described as
A) the temperature at which bubbles of vapor appear in a liquid.
B) the pressure exerted on the earth by the particles in the air.
C) the temperature at which the vapor pressure of a liquid equals atmospheric pressure.
D) the pressure exerted by a gas above the surface of its liquid.
E) the pressure within the lungs during inhalation.
11) An autoclave is used to sterilize surgical equipment because
A) it allows water to boil at temperatures less than 100°C.
B) it allows water to boil at 100°C at pressures less than 1 atm.
C) it allows water to boil at 100°C at pressures greater than 1 atm.
This is the end of the preview. Sign up
access the rest of the document.