Composition - Composition A cloud imaged in false color...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Composition A cloud imaged in false color over Titan's north pole. The atmospheric composition in the stratosphere is 98.4% nitrogen —the only dense, nitrogen- rich atmosphere in the Solar System aside from the Earth's—with the remaining 1.6% composed of mostly of methane (1.4%) and hydrogen (0.1–0.2%). [10] Because methane condenses out of Titan's atmosphere at high altitudes, its abundance increases as one descends below the tropopause at an altitude of 32 km, leveling off at a value of 4.9% between 8 km and the surface. [10] [11] There are trace amounts of other hydrocarbons, such ethane , diacetylene , methylacetylene , acetylene and propane , and of other gases, such as cyanoacetylene , hydrogen cyanide , carbon dioxide , carbon monoxide , cyanogen , argon and helium . [11] The orange color as seen from space must be produced by other more complex chemicals in small quantities, possibly tholins , tar-like organic precipitates. [12]
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 12/15/2011 for the course AST AST1002 taught by Professor Emilyhoward during the Fall '10 term at Broward College.

Page1 / 2

Composition - Composition A cloud imaged in false color...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online