This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ume repletion: decrease tubular light chain •
• concentration, decrease tubular NaCl concentration Increase urine flow: decrease light chain precipitation
Alkalinize urine: raise urine pH above isoelectric point to decrease affinity toward anionic Tamm
Horsfall proteins (controversial)
Chemotherapy to decrease immunoglobulin production Plasmapheresis to remove Plasmapheresis to remove circulating free light chains?
• Many studies are small, nonrandomized, retrospective, are heterogeneous…
• 3 prospective, randomized trials: 2 favor plasmapheresis, while most recent one casts doubt on its use Plasmapheresis?
• Zucchelli 1988: 29 patients (24/83% req dialysis), 59% biopsied, Cr > 5mg/dl not responsive to hydration, 80% treated previously w/ cytotoxic drugs, all given methylprednisolone & cyclophosphamide & randomized to plasmapheresis w/ prn HD vs. prn PD; 13/15 v. 2/14 w/ renal improvement; also survival benefit Plasmapheresis?
• Johnson 1990: 21 patients (...
View Full Document
- Fall '11