Chapter%20(9) - Chapter 9 Valuing Stocks Note: A shaded box...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Chapter 9 Valuing Stocks Note: A shaded box ( ) indicates problems available in MyFinanceLab. An asterisk (*) indicates problems with a higher level of difficulty. All problems in this chapter are available in MyFinanceLab. An asterisk (*) indicates problems with a higher level of difficulty. 1. Plan: We can use Eq. (9.1) to solve for the price of the stock in one year given the current price of $50.00, the $2 dividend and the 15% cost of capital. Execute: 2 50 1.15 55.50 X X + = = Evaluate: At a current price of $50, we can expect Evco stock to sell for $55.50 immediately after the firm pays the dividend in one year. 2. Plan: We can rearrange Eq. (9.1) to find the cost of capital given the current stock price of $20, the $1 and the expected stock price right after paying the dividend of $22. We can use Eq. (9.2) to calculate the dividend yield and the capital gain. Execute: N 10 11 1 0 00 Capital Gain Rate Dividend Yield Div Div 1 E P P P r P PP + + =− = ±²³ 12 22 0 0.15 15% 20 20 E r =+ = = Dividend yield: 5% (1/20) Capital gain: 10% (2/20). Evaluate: The cost of capital for Anle Corporation is 15% given the current stock price of $20 and the expected stock price of $22 after paying the dividend of $1 in one year. The cost of capital is then split between the dividend yield at 5% and the capital gains yield at 10% which together creates the 15% cost of capital. 3. Plan: We can use Eq. (9.1) to solve for the beginning price we would pay now ( P 0 ) given our expectations about dividends ($2.80) and future price ($52.00) and the return we need to expect to earn to be willing to invest (10%). We can use Eq. (9.1) to solve for the price you would expect to be able to sell as share of Acap stock for in one year given our expectations about dividends ($3.00) next year and future price ($52.00) and the return we need to expect to earn to
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
102 Berk/DeMarzo/Harford • Fundamentals of Corporate Finance be willing to invest (10%). Given the price you would expect to be able to sell a share of Acap stock for in one year, we can solve for the price you would be willing to pay for a share of Acap stock today if you planned to hold the stock for only one year using the dividend of $2.80 and the expected return of 10%. Execute: a. P (0) = 2.80/1.10 + (3.00 + 52.00)/1.10 2 = $48.00 b. P (1) = (3.00 + 52.00)/1.10 = $50.00 c. P (0) = (2.80 + 50.00)/1.10 = $48.00 Evaluate: The price you would be willing to pay for a share of Acap stock today if you held the stock for two years or one is not affected by the amount of time you hold the stock for as can be seen in Part (a) and (c). 4. Plan: We can use Eq. (9.2) to calculate the dividend yield and the capital gain. We can then compute the total expected return by adding the dividend yield to the capital gain. Execute: Dividend Yield = 0.88/22.00 = 4% Capital gain rate = (23.54 22.00)/22.00 = 7% Total expected return = r E = 4% + 7% = 11% Evaluate: The stock’s dividend yield of 4% is the expected annual dividend of the stock dividend by its current price. The dividend yield is the percentage return the investor expects to earn from the dividend paid by the stock. The capital gain of 7% reflects the capital gain the investors will earn on the stock, which is the difference between the expected sale price and the original purchase price for the stock. The sum of the dividend yield and the capital gain rate is
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 12/22/2011 for the course FINANCE 350 taught by Professor Celinesun during the Fall '10 term at University of Washington.

Page1 / 12

Chapter%20(9) - Chapter 9 Valuing Stocks Note: A shaded box...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online