FA2011-Sample_Exam_3_Solutions

FA2011-Sample_Exam_3_Solutions - 1. Hilton Hotels has a...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
1. Hilton Hotels has a beta of 1.1, while Sun Motels has a beta of 0.9. The required rate of return on an index fund that holds the entire stock market is 12%. The risk-free rate is 7%. By how much does Hilton’s required return exceed Sun’s required return? This problem requires the application of CAPM. We are given the rate of return on the risk free assets (7%). The expected return on the market is represented by the return on the index fund (12%) First let’s calculate the expected return for each company: Hilton Er = 0.07 + 1.1*(0.12-0.07) = 0.125 Sun Er = 0.06 +0.9*(0.12-0.07) = 0.115 The difference is 0.125 – 0.115 = 0.01 = 1% 2. Huang Investments must maintain a weighted average cost of capital of 10% to satisfy covenants in the bond indenture. Analysts forecast the after tax cost of debt to be 5% and the cost of equity to be 11%. There are no preferred stocks. What debt-equity ratio must be employed to meet the targeted WACC? WACC = Re*E/V + Rd*D/V 1.1 = 0.11*E/V + 0.05*D/V Remember that E+D=V E/V + D/V = 1 D/V = 1-E/V Let’s call E/V = x 1.1 = 0.11*x + 0.05*(1-x) 1.1 = 0.11x + 0.05 - 0.05x 1.1 = x*(0.11-0.05) + 0.05 1.1 - 0.05 = 0.06x 0.05/0.06 = x x = 0.833 = E/V 1-x = 1-0.8333 = 0.16667 = D/V D/E = (D/V)/(E/V) = 0.16667 / 0.8333 = 0.20 3. A portfolio is invested equally in stock A and a risk free asset. The expected return of stock A is 15% and the beta is 1.3. The expected return on the risk free asset is 5%. What is the beta of the portfolio? Since we know that the portfolio is equally invested in the two assets we know that the weight of each asset equals 50% of the portfolio. Beta is calculated as the weighted average of the betas of each asset. Remember that the risk free asset has a beta of zero. Bp = 0.5*1.3 + 0.5*0 = 0.65
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
4. The return of Pilgrim Co. is influenced by the overall state of the economy. In a recessionary economy Pilgrim is likely to lose 5%, in a boom economy, the return is projected at 15%. In a normal economy the return is supposed to be 7%. The probability of a boom is 20%, the probability of a recession is 15%. What is the expected return of this stock? State of the economy Probability Return Return*Probability Boom 20% -0.05 -0.10 Normal 65% 0.07 0.046 Recession 15% 0.2 0.030 Total 100% 0.066 The closest answer is therefore 6.8% Use the following information to answer questions 5-7 Stock A has an expected return of 10% and a variance of 9%. Stock B has an expected return of 15% and a variance of 16%. The beta of stock A is 1.2. 5. What is the expected return of a portfolio invested 40% in stock A and 60% in stock B?
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 12/28/2011 for the course FI 311 taught by Professor Booth during the Fall '06 term at Michigan State University.

Page1 / 7

FA2011-Sample_Exam_3_Solutions - 1. Hilton Hotels has a...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online