This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: Phys 404
Homework 11, CHAPTER 10
Due Thursday, May 5, 2011 @ 12:30 PM
The final exam is May 17, 1:30-3:30 PM, and will cover the entire course. A single 8-1/2” x
11” crib sheet is allowed. No books, electronics/screens, or calculators are allowed.
1. K+K, Chapter 10, Problem 1, Parts (a) and (b) only
2. K+K, Chapter 10, Problem 2
3. K+K, Chapter 10, Problem 3
4. K+K, Chapter 10, Problem 4 assume that each three-dimensional harmonic oscillator has
allowed energies given by (nx+ny+nz)-o, where nx, ny, and nz are independent non-negative
integers and -o is the ground state energy.
For part (b) you must actually solve for the latent heat per atom.
5. Given the van der Waals equation of state
, and , in favor of , , and , defined as resulting equation of state is , , and . Show that the . 6. Starting with the “law of corresponding states”
dimensionless quantities , eliminate the quantities , , , and in terms of the
, show that the simultaneous conditions , and
are satisfied when
. What is the corresponding value of ? These conditions
define the critical point of the van der Waals fluid. ...
View Full Document