hw3 - CS/EE 147 HW 3: Practice with CTMCs Guru: Raga...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: CS/EE 147 HW 3: Practice with CTMCs Guru: Raga Assigned: 4/13/10 Due: 4/28/10, Ragas mailbox, 1pm We encourage you to discuss these problems with others, but you need to write up the actual solutions alone. At the top of your homework sheet, list all the people with whom you discussed. Crediting help from other classmates will not take away any credit from you. Start early and come to office hours with your questions! 1 Warmup: Practice with Poisson processes [15 points] (a) Consider a stream of packets arriving according to a Poisson process with rate per second. Suppose each packet is of type Green with probability 5% and of type Yellow with probability 95%. Given that 100 Green packets arrived during the previous second, (i) what is the expected number of Yellow packets which arrived during the previous second? and (ii) what is the probability that 2000 Yellow packets arrived during the previous second? (b) Red packets arrive according to a Poisson Process with rate 1 = 30 packets/sec. Black packets arrive according to a Poisson Process with rate 2 = 10 packets/sec. Assume the streams are statistically multiplexed into one stream. Suppose we are told that 60 packets arrived during the second. Whats the probability that exactly 40 of those were red? You can verify your answer by reasoning out this problem in 2 different ways....
View Full Document

This document was uploaded on 01/05/2012.

Page1 / 3

hw3 - CS/EE 147 HW 3: Practice with CTMCs Guru: Raga...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online