Plovdiv - Plovdiv Plovdiv city(1993 pop 345,205 S central...

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Plovdiv Plovdiv, , city (1993 pop. 345,205), S central Bulgaria, on the Maritsa River. It is the second largest city of Bulgaria, a transportation hub, and the chief market for a fertile area. Plovdiv's major industries are food processing, brewing, and the manufacture of textiles, metal products, and carpets. Originally built by the Thracians, the city was captured in 341 B.C. by Philip II of Macedon, who named it Philippopolis and established a military post there. Known under Roman rule as Trimontium, it was the capital of Thracia. It was razed by the Goths but recovered after Byzantine Emperor Constantine V settled the Armenian Paulicians there. Destroyed (early 13th cent.) by the Bulgarians, Plovdiv later became the center of the Bogomils . It was occupied by the Greeks in 1262 and was captured by the Turks c.1360. The city passed to Russia in 1877 and became the capital of Eastern Rumelia (1878–85); it was united with Bulgaria in 1885. Plovdiv is the seat of a Bulgarian Orthodox eparch and has several Orthodox churches and
Background image of page 1
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 01/05/2012 for the course AMH AMH2010 taught by Professor Pietrzak during the Fall '10 term at Broward College.

Ask a homework question - tutors are online