This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: 1848 Election * Whigs-Zachary Taylor
* Dem-General Lewis Cass
* Popular Sovereignty * ISSUE-Slavery in the Mexican Cession
* Free Soilers
* Martin Van Buren
What a mess!
What * California
* Free state
* 13 free and 13 slave
* Slavery in the MX Cession * Slavery and slave auctions in DC
* TX is going to go to war with NM
* Enter Henry Clay
(for the last time)
Compromise of 1850
Last time Clay , Calhoun and Webster shared the stage together!
Last of the Old Guard Protect and preserve
Will it pass through Congress?
* Oh yeah! * But will President Taylor sign it?
Zachary Taylor is dead? * Millard Filmore
* Passes the Compromise
* California can be free Compromise of 1850 *
* Slavery in the MX Cession open to popular sovereignty
Slavery is Ok in DC. Auctions are not!
TX, you can’t go to war with NM. ($5 million)
Yes to the National Runaway Slave law
Yes * Harriet Beecher Stowe Books!
Books! Impending Crisis of the South
Opening the Closed Door
* Commodore Matthew Perry * JAPAN
* To trade with California
* Ports where whaling ships could get supplies
California has gold!
* We need a transcontinental RR! * South or North ?
Gadsden Purchase * James Gadsden
* Purchased the land for $10 million
* most direct and practicable route for the Southern transcontinental railroad
would be south of the United States boundary
Enter Steven Douglass
* Let’s organize the land *
* NO!!!!!!!(36 30 line)
Let’s get rid of the line Rescinded the 36 30 line
1854 Kansas Nebraska Act
* Kansas and Nebraska territory * Open to slavery through popular sovereignty
* New England Emigrant Aid Society
Let’s save Kansas from slavery
Let’s move! Beecher’s Bible!
Open to Popular Sovereignty
What happened to the RR?
* We are way too busy killing each other in Kansas and other areas to want a
* It will begin building it in 1863.
Spreads to the Congressional Floor
You can’t talk about my family!
Good Grief! * Read
* Lecompton Constitution
* The Kansas state constitution
* C-p. 385
James Buchanan ...
View Full Document