Concept development is one of the typical phases of product development.
Early prototypes of a new product, using the same geometry and material processes as the production
versions are usually constructed during the concept development phase of the product development
A key decision point in the generic development process during "Phase 4: Testing and refinement" is
A key decision point in the generic development process during "Phase 1: Concept Development" is project
The generic development process outlined in the textbook is followed by many, if not most, of the firms in
the Fortune 500.
Target customers are specified during "Phase 0: Planning" of the generic product development process.
The main purpose of concurrent engineering is to improve product quality.
Quality function deployment is an engineering analysis whose purpose is to simplify products and
Quality function deployment involves listening to customers to determine the characteristics of a superior
10. Designing a new product for aesthetics and for the user is generally termed industrial design.
11. One of the methodologies that can aid in designing a new product for customers is a House of Quality
12. Value analysis/value engineering has as its objective to increase product quality and reduce costs.
13. DFMA stands for design for manufacturing and assembly.
14. In a concurrent engineering approach to product design and development, an integration team insures that
various parts of the product are compatible with the needs of the target customer.
15. A key tool of a quality function deployment team is the house of quality matrix.
16. A contract manufacturer is an organization capable of manufacturing and/or purchasing all of the
components needed to produce a finished product or device.
17. Specialized design firms tend to have highly developed processes that support the needs of particular
18. Core competencies are those things that everyone in the firm must be able to do well.
19. A competency is not core if it is easy for competitors to imitate.
20. One goal of having a core competency is to do something better than anyone else.
21. The conclusion of the product development process is when the product is withdrawn from the market.
This is the end of the preview. Sign up
access the rest of the document.