memorial_u_faculty - Memorial University Faculty/Staff Club...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Memorial University Faculty/Staff Club The financial statements of the Memorial University Faculty/Staff Club for the fiscal year ended August 31, 1988 indicated a deficit of $1,368 (Exhibit 1). In April 1989, the Board of Directors was considering what, if any, steps should be taken to avoid any future deficit. Although the current deficit was small, the Board was concerned that future deficits would erode the funds that had been earmarked for a new facility Also, the Board was considering what steps, if any, should be taken in response to the results of a recent Background The Memorial University Faculty/Staff Club was established in July 1975 to provide services for members of the Club. Services included providing eating and drinking facilities, evening entertainment, and an annual Lobster Dinner. The Club used University property for its functions but was an independent entity and not an adjunct of the University. Membership in the Club was open to all full-time, part-time, permanent or temporary employees of Memorial University of Newfoundland. The fee structure was 0.2 percent of each member's gross salary. In January 1989, the University employed 937 faculty (approximately 90 percent on the St John's campus and 10 percent on the Comer Brook campus) and 1,517 staff (approximately 94 percent on the St John's Campus and 6 percent on the Comer Brook Campus). In 1988 the Club had 310 members. The Board of Directors was elected from amongst the members of the Club at the annual general meeting each year. The management of the Club's business was vested in the Directors who met once a month to discuss any issues. The University Memorial University College was established in 1925 as a memorial to those who lost their lives in the great wars and as an institution to provide higher education to the young people of Newfoundland and Labrador. Memorial University of Newfoundland was established by an act of the Provincial Legislature of Newfoundland in 1949. The main campus was located in St John's, the capital city of the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. In 1975, the University established a campus in Comer Brook, named Sir Wilfred Grenfell College. Comer Brook is on the west coast of the province, 687 kilometres from St John's. This case was prepared by Professor Shu Lun Wong of Memorial University of Newfoundland for the Atlantic Entrepreneurial Institute as a basis for classroom discussion, and is not meant to illustrate either effective or ineffective management. Copyright 1993, the Atlantic Entrepreneurial Institute. Reproduction of this am is allowed without permission for educational purposes, but all such reproductions must acknowledge the copyright. This permission does not include publication.
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
The total student enrolment in 1987/88 was: Full-time 11,322 Part-time 4,462 Total 15,784 Luncheon Facilities Luncheons, the principal service of the Club, were provided in the Dining Hall (see Exhibit 4) from noon until two pm, Monday to Friday during academic terms. A self-
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 13

memorial_u_faculty - Memorial University Faculty/Staff Club...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online