This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: Earth Report
State of the Planet 2009
1. Any early earthquake warning system relies on __electrical_________ disturbances in the atmosphere.
2. In 2008, _64_______volcanoes erupted in large population areas. 3. Volcanic eruptions can be detected early by measuring __heat_____ production in the volcanic region
days before the volcanic event(s).
4. Yellowstone NP is actually the site of an active __super_____ volcano.
5. The birthplace of 90% of the Atlantic hurricanes seems to be in lighting storms over _Ethiopia______ (hint: a
6. The _dust_____ over the Sahara, when blown out to sea, may actually lower the storm formation rate in the
7. Gravity waves may compress thunder storms which then may form into __tornadoes_________.
8. Bikini Atoll is associated with two very different things. What are they? ___Swim suits____ and _atmospheric nuclear tests_______.
9. What is the good news concerning Bikini Atoll in 2008? Much of the coral reef life has returned (70 % of the coral species).
10. The warming of the Arctic tundra is associated with the _______carbon bottle_ _________ effect which
produces copious amounts of _carbon dioxide____ gas to be released in the atmosphere.
11. Approximately __25%___ of the world s mammal species are in danger of extinction.
12. Good news: the _Hump backed_________ whales are making a comeback.
13. In 2008 _100 s_____ of new species were discovered on the Great Barrier Reef.
14. In the _Congo_________, about 125,000 lowland gorillas were discovered in 2008-almost tripling the
15. What was the population tipping point experienced in 2008?
One half of the world s human population lives in or near cities. 16. The Vivace system converts low energy water motion into high energy_electricity________. ...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 01/13/2012 for the course IS 3020 taught by Professor Staff during the Spring '08 term at Kennesaw.
- Spring '08