This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: Intelligent (Web) Design
Intelligent THE STATE OF AFFAIRS
THE Graphic design on the corporate web is
largely bland, passionless, and
unengaging. Why is this? It is the constant mantra of today’s
usability expert that a site requires
more than front-end style to
The usability experts got together
and basically dismissed large
elements of creative web design
They declared rigorous site-building
‘laws’ rather than the mere
‘guidelines’ they claim to offer.
‘guidelines’ Corporations became very wary of
The bad mentality that the web is
only big enough for a few types of
sites has been persistent. After all,
why reinvent the wheel?
To dismiss front-end design as mere
‘icing’ is to jeopardize the success of
any The Solution: Personal Passion
• In order to move beyond a conservative,
In copycat style, you must look beyond the
inbred corporate web to the personal sites
of today’s leading web designers.
• Visitors should be able to ‘feel’ your sites.
The web is not a database. It is a
communications The purposes of this talk are to:
• Discuss the design process that will help
you to design a valuable
• Outline do’s and don'ts.
• Discuss graphic design concepts that
will help improve the aesthetics of your
• Point you in the right direction for
• Help you to think critically about
websites and interactive services.
websites Web Design
• The design process
• Intelligent design
• Important considerations
• Beware Flash
• Do’s and don’ts The Design Process
• Develop the concept. It’s here at the
beginning of the project that you have
to answer some critical questions.
• Design phase: choosing technologies
View Full Document
- Fall '03