ANTH 209/SOC 269
September 15 and 20, 2011
Food, race and ethnicity:
Immigrants, Soul Food, and the United Tastes of America
The film: “People like us”
Class in Burlington Vermont
1. Bread becomes the symbol for the conflict between working and
2. White bread – “declasse”, lower class, tasteless, mass-produced,
non-nutritious, hoi polloi,ordinary.
3. Whole grain bread – artisanl, upper class, exclusive, cosmopolitan,
Class and race
1. Class and race often get conflated.
2. The invisibility of middle class blacks.
3. However, there is a history of economic disenfranchisement and
Ethnicity and Race: Concepts and Realities:
is a cultural category used to group and hierarchically arrange
people who are considered to be physically distinct in some way from
other groups in terms of skin color, hair texture, and facial features.
Such category is oftentimes used to denote differences in intelligence,
attractiveness, cultural potential and worth.
Characteristics of Race
1. unstable complex of meaning
2. not an “essence” or “fixed”, it chanes through historcal time
is controlled by power
contexted, revised, and legitimized through legislation, cultural
work )mass Media, literature, and scientific doctrines
5.arbitrary and illogical symbolic system with material
6.arose out of the period of European expansion and emergence of
7. no biological basis yet part of our everday “commonwise” view