Unformatted text preview: What does the cooling
What happens if an engine
runs too cool or too hot?
What are the Types of
Cooling Thermal Dynamics
A camp fire explains it all!
Convection Radiation Conduction Heat Transfer Continued
• Only 1/3 of heat produced in an engine is
• Where does the remainder go?
• What are some “very good” and “good” heat
• How much energy do you radiate?
• What is ambient air temperature?
• Thermal Dynamics in relation to material’s
• Thermal Dynamics in relation to color. Liquid Cooling Systems
• What do coolants do for an engine?
– Freezing Point?
– Boiling Point? • Anti-Freeze or Anti-Boil?
• What makes-up a coolant? How it Works: Liquid Cooled Systems - A pressurized closed circulation system
Liquid Parts of a Liquid Cooling System
• Radiator & Pressure Cap
Fan & Belt
Coolant Radiator & Pressure Cap
– Types: (2)
Testing & Repair: (2)
How does the radiator work? • Pressure Cap:
– Functions: (2)
– How a pressure cap works: Fan & Belts
• What function does the fan serve?
– Types of fans? • What can the fan belt do for the engine’s
cooling Coolant Pump
• The water pump is the
heart of the cooling
• Sealed lubrication for
the pump bearings,
why? Water Jackets
• Passageways through which water circulates
through the block.
• Purpose of a
• Importance of a
• How does a thermostat
• Practical thermostat
information: Testing a Thermostat
Testing Minor System Parts
– Purpose of Hoses:
– Inspecting hoses, what do
you look for?
– Installation of hoses? • Filters:
– Jobs a filter can perform: Coolant
• Four Properties of Coolant: (4)
• Mixing antifreeze and water:
– Water Type?
– Mixture Percentage • Antifreeze Specifics:
Flushing Air Cooled Engines
• How do they work?
Pre-Cleaner • Maintenance: General Cooling System Tips
View Full Document