This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: 4-13-09
Perception: act of perceiving. To become aware thru senses or understanding.
Nature of Perception
1. Learned and culture bound
2. Backward looking: look at past to interpret occurrences
3. Selective: see what we know
4. Value laden
Elements that enhance perception
1. Violate our expectations
2. Novel or unique
5. Incongruous: out of place
6. Alter our point of view
Influences on Perception
1. Senses, age, gender, health, temporal cycles, fatigue, hunger, mood
1. Self concept, homophile, past, prototypes, attitudes
1. Occupation, economic, race/ethnicity, geography, media ...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 01/16/2012 for the course CMST 1061 taught by Professor Hebert during the Fall '08 term at LSU.
- Fall '08