Chinese 252 Review Questions, Series 1, Part A
1. How many tones are there in modern standard Chinese?
2. The great majority of Chinese characters have two components. What are these two components called, and what
is the function of each?
3. In Chinese, which comes first, the given name (John, Sally, etc.) or the surname (Smith, Johnson, etc.)?
4. In what year was China first made into a unified, imperial, bureaucratic state?
5. What Chinese ruler is famous for having burned books and buried scholars subsequent to the unification referred
6. Why does Chinese make relatively little use of words borrowed from other languages?
7. Name an Asian language other than Chinese that is that is also tonal, and in which single syllables usually carry
meaning (as in Chinese).
8. What is the name of the Chinese transliteration system used in this course?
10. What does the four-word idiom “three-people-create-tiger” mean?
11. In the
system, what sound does the letter “i” represent in the syllable
12. What two steps must you follow to find a character you do not know how to pronounce in a Chinese dictionary?
13. Which of the following English words rhymes best with the Chinese syllable jiu
14. Which of the following English words rhymes best with the Chinese syllable hui
15. Which of the following English words rhymes best with the Chinese syllable zheng
16. Which of the following Chinese syllables rhymes best with the English word “hung?”
17. Which of the following Chinese syllables is closest in sound to the the English pronoun “I?”
18. Which two of the following Chinese syllables rhyme?
19. Supply four Chinese syllables, each of which exemplifies a different pronunciation of the letter “i” in the
20. In the
system, how are the sounds “j,” “ch,” and “sh” respectively represented in cases where the tongue is
in the retroflex position?
21. In the
system, how are the sounds “j,” “ch,” and “sh” represented in cases where the tongue is in the
22. What are some features of Lóngshān culture that do not appear to have existed in the earlier Y ngshāo culture?
23. In Chinese myth, what two figures are regarded as founders of the institution of matrimony?
24. What mythical ruler is said to have eaten hundreds of herbs in order to discover which were beneficial, and
which harmful, to humankind?
25. In what general area of present day China did Chinese civilization initially develop?
26. According to legend, how did Yáo and Shùn handle the problem of succession?