This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: M11 Concept Question 1 Given the torque-twist and torque-stress
relationships (and the assumptions that
we made to obtain them). Which of the
following cross-sections would you expect
to be best suited to creating the stiffest,
strongest shaft for a given mass of
1. A solid circular cross-section
2. A solid square cross-section
3. A hollow circular cross-section 4. A cruciform cross-section
5. A hollow square cross-section 6. Some other answer
7. I don't know/don't understand. M11 Concept Question 2
For the end-loaded, spring-supported rod shown on the
board, which of the following statements are true?
A: At a certain value of P2 the effective stiffness (i.e. P1=keff q)
will become zero
B: The forces and reactions acting on the rod will always
remain in equilibrium, whatever the values of P1, P2 and k
C: For a fixed value of P2 , at a certain value of P1 the rod will
1. A only 2. B only 3. C only 4. A and B 5. B and C 6. A and C 7. A, B and C 8. None of them 9. I do not know/I do not understand. ...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 01/28/2012 for the course AERO 16.01 taught by Professor Markdrela during the Fall '05 term at MIT.
- Fall '05