Inventory_Part_II

Inventory_Part_II - DS 412 Operations Management Inventory...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–8. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
DS 412 Operations Management Inventory Management Part II
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
When to Order: The Reorder Point ROP If lead time is positive, then an order must be placed before you run out of stock. The amount of inventory on hand when an order is placed is called the re-order point ROP. ROP should be large enough to last for the entire lead time.
Background image of page 2
ROP = (Demand rate)*(Lead time) Quantity on hand Receive order Place order Receive order Reorder Point ROP in units Usage rate Time Lead time Example: Demand is 10 units per day and lead time is 5 days. ROP = 50 units Note this is the simple case when demand and lead time are both constant
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Uncertain Demand and /or Uncertain Lead Time Quantity on hand Reorder point Usage rate Time Lead time If demand and/or Lead time are uncertain, there may be a stock-out during the lead time We must hold additional Safety Stock ROP = Expected demand during lead time + Safety Stock
Background image of page 4
ROP and Safety Stock LT Time Expected demand during lead time Maximum probable demand during lead time Quantity Safety stock ROP Tradeoffs: cost of holding the Safety Stock vs the cost of a stock-out
Background image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
When to Order for EOQ Models ROP = Expected (mean) Demand during the lead time + Safety Stock What determines safety stock? Average demand rate and average lead time Demand and Lead time variability Desired service level
Background image of page 6
Service level : probability that demand will not exceed supply Probability that a stockout will not occur during the lead- time Stockout Risk: The probability that demand will exceed supply Service Level = 100% - Stockout risk e.g. service level 90% means there is a 90% chance that all demand will be met during the lead-time (only 10% risk of stock-out.
Background image of page 7

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 8
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 01/28/2012 for the course DS 412 taught by Professor Eng during the Fall '07 term at S.F. State.

Page1 / 23

Inventory_Part_II - DS 412 Operations Management Inventory...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 8. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online