1. Briefly summarize the contents of Mark 16:9-19 and why is this text odd?
It is the longer ending of Mark.
First Jesus appears to Mary Magdalene, yet no one
He then appeared in another form to two of the disciples and they told the
rest but no one believed them.
He then appeared to the eleven and chastised them for
their lack of faith.
He then sent them on a mission of proclamation of the Gospel in his
This is an odd text because Jesus was present at the “Pentecost” event.
2. What is Paul’s views in Romans 11:1-16, 25 on the Jewish rejection of Christ?
He asks if God rejected his people and responds by saying “By no means”.
the times that although the people strayed from the path, God was still accepting.
3. What is to be the status of the living and the dead when Christ returns according
to I Thess. 4:13-18?
God will bring those that died with him through Jesus.
And that the living will no
precede the already dead at the second coming of the Lord.
The dead in Christ will rise
4. When does II Thess. 2:1-12 state that Christ will return again?
Jesus will not come unless the rebellion comes first and the lawless one is revealed.
lawless one is the evil one working through Satan that claims to be God.
Jesus will come
and destroy him with the breath from him mouth.
5. What does God desire and through whom according to I Timothy 2:3-5?
God desires everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
6. In II Timothy 3:1-9, how does one recognize men of “counterfeit faith?”
They will be lovers of themselves, money, boasters, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to
their parents, ungrateful, unholy, inhuman, implacable, slanderers, profligates, brutes,
haters of good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than
lovers of God, holding to the outward form of godliness but denying its power.
7. Why did we study the resurrection in such detail?
The resurrection is the foundation of Christianity.
8. Although unavoidable, what is wrong with coming to a belief in the resurrection
as simply another Christian truth in which to believe?
Resurrection should be the horizon through which Christians should see everything else.