This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: Lab 1 – Design Parameters and Tradeoﬀs 9 Feb 06 Uniﬁed Engineering
• Get familiar with ﬂight performance modeling and prediction
• Get familiar with design parameters and tradeoﬀs
• Study the lab notes document “Flight Power Relations”
Lab Execution and Deliverables
1) Working in a group of 3–5, extend the “Pro & Con” list at the end of the lab notes
document for the following design parameter changes:
• Increase the wing aspect ratio AR
• Increase the maximum operating lift coeﬃcient CL with higher-camber airfoil
• Reduce cd by using thinner airfoil
• Reduce fuselage’s CDA0 by adding fairing material
Explain the rationale for each Pro and Con with a brief argument. A few sentences and
possibly some simple algebra should suﬃce for each. Consider the eﬀects on both tmax and
2a) Rank the design parameters in order of decreasing perceived importance for tmax
2b) Rank the design parameters in order of decreasing perceived importance for Vmax
Include the parameters given at the end of the lab notes document in this list.
Two written pages should be suﬃcient to report your ﬁndings.
Suggested teamwork process:
i) Individuals make preliminary lists of pros and cons during preparation
ii) Team meets and collates all these, agreeing on a rank ordering
iii) Team splits work if possible to document their ﬁnal result 1 ...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 01/28/2012 for the course AERO 16.01 taught by Professor Markdrela during the Fall '05 term at MIT.
- Fall '05