I6 - Oxygen glucose> into cells 3 Carbon Dioxide...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Fluid, Electrolyte, Acid/Base Balance I. Fluids of the Body A. Fluid Compartments 1. intracellular fluid compartment - within the cells themselves (about 25L or 40% of body weight) 2. extracellular fluid compartment outside the cells (about 15L or 20% of body weight) a. plasma - fluid portion of the blood (3 L) b. interstitial fluid - fluid bathing all cells and tissues of body ( 12 L) Total body water volume = 40L or about 60% of body weight B. Fluid Composition 1. nonelectrolytes - no electrical charge (glucose) 2. electrolytes - dissociate into ions (NaCl) 3. milliequivalents per liter (mEg/L) - measure of number of charges in 1 liter of solution concentration of ion (mg/L) mEq/L = x # charges per ion atomic weight of ion C. Extracellular vs. Intracellular Fluids 1. extracellular - high Na + and high Cl - 2. intracellular - low Na + and low Cl - D. Fluid Movement between Compartments 1. 2.
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Background image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: Oxygen, glucose -> into cells 3. Carbon Dioxide, nitrogenous wastes-> out of cells 4. ECF <====> ICF depends on NaCl in the ECF II. Water Balance A. Overview of Water Balance 1. intake - 90% ingested water; 10% metabolic water 2. output - 60% urine; 28% lungs/skin (mucosa); 12% sweat/feces 3. water need - trigger thirst & release of ADH B. The Thirst Mechanism Fluid, Electrolyte, Acid/Base Balance decrease in plasma volume OR increase in osmolarity excitation of hypothalamic thirst center sensation of thirst C. Regulation of Water Output 1. obligatory water loss - lungs, sweat, feces 2. regulation of water - kidneys (ADH -> Na + ) D. Disorders of Water Balance 1. dehydration - water loss -> water intake a. bleeding, burns, sweating, diuretics 2. hypotonic hydration - too much water or Na + 3. edema - accumulation of water in interstitial space...
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 01/29/2012 for the course SCIE SYG2000 taught by Professor Bernhardt during the Fall '10 term at Broward College.

Page1 / 2

I6 - Oxygen glucose> into cells 3 Carbon Dioxide...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online