About the University
Undergraduate Education in
Programs of Study and
Courses for Liberal Arts
Faculties Offering the
Programs, Faculty, and
Availability of Majors
African, Middle Eastern,
and South Asian
Africana Studies 014
African Area Studies
American History 512
American Studies 050
Art 080, 081
Art History 082
Arts and Sciences 090
Asian Studies 098
Business Law 140
Cinema Studies 175
New Brunswick Undergraduate Catalog 2009-2011
Programs of Study and Courses for
Liberal Arts Students
Programs, Faculty, and Courses
The following abbreviations are used in the course listing.
1. CALC1 indicates that the prerequisite is any one of 01:640:135, 151, 153, or 191.
2. CALC2 indicates that the prerequisite is any one of 01:640:152, 154, or 192.
3. CALC3 indicates that the prerequisite is any one of 01:640:251 or 291.
4. CALC4 indicates that the prerequisite is any one of 01:640:244, 252, or 292.
5. CR1 indicates that students may not receive credit for more than one of the first-semester
calculus courses 01:640:135, 151, 153, or 191.
6. CR2 indicates that students may not receive credit for more than one of the courses including
second-semester topics 01:640:136, 138, 152, 154, or 192.
7. CR3 indicates that students may not receive credit for more than one of the courses including
third-semester topics 01:640:251 or 291.
8. CR4 indicates that students may not receive credit for more than one of the fourth-semester
courses 01:640:244, 252, or 292.
Workshop to accompany 01:640:111.
Workshop to accompany 01:640:112.
Operations with polynomials, rational and square root expressions, exponents, solving linear and
quadratic equations, basic applications, and graphing.
Absolute value equations and inequalities, radical expressions, rational exponents, quadratic
equations and inequalities, introduction to functions, and topics in analytic geometry.
Prerequisite: 01:640:025 or appropriate performance on the placement test in mathematics.
Review of fundamentals of elementary and intermediate algebra. Exponents, polynomials,
solution of linear and quadratic equations. Focus on mathematical translation of verbal
Prerequisites: Acceptable performance on placement test and permission of department.