Unformatted text preview: er potential,
charges move from B to A. “
8 Physics 212 Lecture 7, Slide 9
Physics Parallel Plate Capacitor THE CAPACITOR QUESTIONS WERE TOUGH!
We’ll work through the example in
the prelecture and then do the
Physics 212 Lecture 7, Slide 10
Capacitance is defined for any pair of spatially separated conductors Q
How do we understand this definition ???
• Consider two conductors, one with excess charge = +Q
and the other with excess charge = -Q +Q
d E V -Q
• These charges create an electric field in the space between them
• We can integrate the electric field between them to find the
potential difference between the conductor
• This potential difference should be proportional to Q !!
• The ratio of Q to the potential difference is the capacitance and
only depends on the geometry of the conductors
9 Physics 212 Lecture 7, Slide 11
Physics Example (done in Prelecture 7)
First determine E field produced by...
View Full Document