Confidence Int

Confidence Int - .- The confidence level is 1-α ....

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Statistical Inference for the Mean Confidence Interval Confidence level : An alternative representation of level of significance. ormal distribution applies - normal distribution applies. - α level of significance (e.g. 5% in two tails) determines the rejection region, which means - in the rejection region sample means are far enough away from the assumed population mean that only 5% of sample eans would fall in the rejection region by chance means would fall in the rejection region by chance. - Then we can have 95% confidence that a random sample mean will fall in that interval called Confidence interval
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Background image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: .- The confidence level is 1-α . (e.g.1-5%=95%) 1.96-1.96 f(z) Statistical Inference for the Mean onfidence Interval Confidence interval of sample means : x x μ − − σ Confidence Interval n z x / = = n z x μ+ = g 5% level of significance in two tails i e 95% confidence level e.g. 5% level of significance in two tails, i.e. 95% confidence level. Φ (<z1)=0.025 96 Φ (>z1)=0.025 +1 96 f(z) z1=-1.96 x 96 . 1 − = z1=+1.96 x 96 . 1 + = z =1.96 z =-1.96 2.5% 2.5% n Then the 95% confidence interval is n 1 1 n from 96 . 1 − n to 96 . 1 +...
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 02/13/2012 for the course MATH 2320 taught by Professor Glyn during the Fall '11 term at Minnesota.

Page1 / 2

Confidence Int - .- The confidence level is 1-α ....

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online