ViralDis121_OLS

ViralDis121_OLS - Viral Pathogens of Humans HIV/AIDS & Top...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Viral Pathogens of Humans HIV Infection and AIDS What is HIV? 1. HIV is a retrovirus : viral genetic material is placed into DNA of infected cells where it remains forever (Makes a true cure unlikely) 2. HIV evades the immune system: Immune system cannot recognize the viral DNA within infected cells (looks like any other DNA) High mutation rate HIV: Frequent changes in viral surface molecules, confusing to the immune system 3. HIV damages the immune system: Infects and then destroys cells critical to immune system function: Helper (CD4) T cells and macrophages 4. HIV is transmitted via sexual contact (having another STI increases risk), blood, or mother to infant (across placenta, during birth or nursing) What is AIDS ? 1. Disease caused by HIV (can be HIV (+) but not have AIDS) 2. Damaged immune system cannot respond to pathogens so normally harmless microbes become pathogenic (opportunistic) in AIDS patients 3. AIDS is diagnosed when a HIV (+) person has Helper T (CD4) cell count <200 cells/ μ l, CD4 cells fewer than 14% of all lymphocytes, and/or certain opportunistic infections 4. Approx. 90% of AIDS deaths are from opportunistic infections 5. The other 10% occur when HIV infects the brain AIDS dementia Death Prevention: 1. Behavioral change: Condoms, sterile needles 2. Anti-HIV drugs: Reduce mother-baby transmission and prevent infection of health care workers accidentally exposed 3. Vaccine? Rapid mutation rate of HIV is making vaccine development difficult 1
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Treatment 1. 25 – 30 FDA approved anti-HIV drugs
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 02/13/2012 for the course MBI 121 taught by Professor Balish during the Fall '08 term at Miami University.

Page1 / 4

ViralDis121_OLS - Viral Pathogens of Humans HIV/AIDS & Top...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online