Perin First hour 1

It results when the fetus does not swallow the usual

Info icon This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: lop at any stage in pregnancy, although it is more common in the last trimester. Renal agenesis (failure of fetal kidney forma&on) is the main cause of oligohydramnios. Amnio=c Fluid Chemical Composi=on The composi&on of the amnio&c fluid changes with gesta&on: in early pregnancy it is similar to maternal and fetal serum. 98-99% of the amnio&c fluid water is A large number of dissolved substances such as Different cell types crea&nine, urea, bile pigments, renin, glucose, fructose, proteins (albumin and globulin), lipids, hormones (estrogen and progestrone ), enzymes, minerals (Na+ ,K+ Cl- ). During the second half of gesta&on its osmolarity decreases and is close to dilute fetal urine with added phospholipids and other substances from fetal lung and other metabolites . Amniocentesis Amniocentesis is the removal of a small amount of amnio&c fluid from the sac around the baby. This is usually performed at 16 (15-20) weeks in pregnancy. A fine needle is inserted under ultrasound guidance through the mothers' abdomen into a pool of amnio&c fluid. Diagnos&c tool Amniocentesis is a valuable tool to asses fetus well-being It mainly looks at: 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. fetal chromosomes and their abnormali&es (ex: Down Syndrome) neurodegenera&ve diseases analysis of its density can determine the presence of fetal hemolysis presence of specific proteins can indicate infec&ons values of different molecules can indicate the maturity or the right development of organs such as lung or kidney 2. Amnio&c Fluid Cells Amniotic Fluid cell populations AFSC are 1% of the total popula&on Which cells reside within the other 99%? Studies reported the presence of cells within Amnio&c Fluid such as: Mesenchymal Cells Hematopoie&c Cells Neural Progenitor cells AF cell characteriza=on 1. Is cell composi&on changing? 2. If so, how cell composi&on is affected? All the three Germ Layers (Mesoderm, Endoderm and Ectoderm) Pluripotent Cells Organ specific Progenitor Cells (Lung, Liver, Heart, Kidney) Mature c...
View Full Document

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern