Unformatted text preview: By: Ms. Susan M. Pojer
By: Ms. Susan M. Pojer
Horace Greeley HS Chappaqua, NY
Horace Greeley HS Chappaqua, NY The “Little Ice Age”:
“Warm Period” In th e 1 7 c , Eu ro p e re lie d o n a ve ry ine ffic ie n t a g ric ultu ra l s ys te m to fe e d its p o p u la tio n . 17c
Agrarianism Feudal Common Field System
Feudal Yield Ratio for Grain Crops
(1400-1800) Grain Supplies in 16c Europe
Grain Cereal Crops in 18c Europe
Cereal Small Town “Farmer’s Markets”
Small The Village School (17c)
The Country People Playing a Ball Game
Country A Lace Maker
Lace Supplemental Income Cottage
Industries: “Putting-Out” System
“Putting-Out” System The “Putting-Out” System
The Advantages of the Putting-Out System
1. P e a s a nts c o uld s u p p le m e n t th e ir a g ric ultura l inc o m e s . Take advantage of winter months when farming was impossible.
1. Merchants could avoid the higher wages and often demanding regulations of urban labor. Easier to reduce the number of workers when the economy was bad.
1. Merchants could acquire capital, which would later play a part in funding industrialization itself. Peasants acquired future skills.
1. Young people could start separate households earlier, thus contributing to population growth. Disadvantage of the Putting-Out System??
Disadvantage When demand rose [which it did in the 18c] this system proved inefficient. Merchantcapitalists found it difficult to induce peasantworkers to increase their output. This dilemma eventually led to the factory system All the workers were concentrated in one place under the supervision of a manager. Water or steam power could easily be applied there. “Apprentices at Their Looms”
William Hogarth, 1687 Population Density: 18c Europe
Rate European Urbanization: 1500-1800
European Industry & Population: 18c Europe
Industry “Gin Lane”
1751 Emancipation of the Peasantry to 1812
Emancipation “Enclosed” Fields British Raw Materials
British 18c British Port
18c The Growth of England’s
Foreign Trade in the 18c 18c English “Nouveau Riche”:
The Capitalist Entrepreneur
The Capitalist ...
View Full Document
- Fall '08
- Population Ecology, Vegetarian cuisine, William Hogarth