ReviewForEx_1.2011.Spring-v2

ReviewForEx_1.2011.Spring-v2 - Review for Exam 1. ITI 111....

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–4. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Review for Exam 1. ITI 111. Spring 2011 In questions 1—3, we run an experiment consisting of one toss of a 4-sided (tetrahedral) die, whose faces are labeled 1, 2, 3, and 4. 1. A possible outcome of this experiment is (select all that apply): a. 2 b. {2} c. {1,2,3,4} d. 25% 2. The probability of rolling a 4 is (select all that apply): a. 25% b. 1:4 c. 1/3 d. ¼ 3. And finally, in this case, {2,3,1,4} is (select all that apply): a. An Outcome b. A Compound event c. An elementary event d. The whole Sample Space e. A Probability 4. Now assume we run an experiment in which we toss a 4-sided die twice. In this case, the result {one 2 and one 4} is (select all that apply): a. An Outcome b. A Composite event c. An elementary event d. The Sample Space e. A Probability In these next questions, we run an experiment picking a card at random for a deck, noting its color (which we denote as R for red and B for black). And putting that card back, and then randomly picking another card from the deck. So we could get the same card twice. For example: BR means ―first a black card and then a red card‖ 5. The sample space for this experiment is: a. {R, B} b. {both red, both black, different colors } c. {RR,RB,BR,BB} d. {RR, BB} e. A set containing all the possible outcomes
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
6. If the deck is a usual one, what is the probability of the event ―At least one of the cards was RED‖? a. 25% b. 50% c. 66% d. 75% e. Can’t tell. 8. What is the probability of ―first red, and then black‖ a. 25% b. 50% c. 66% d. 75% e. Can’t tell. 9. An outcome that can be decomposed into several distinguishable outcomes, such as "choosing an even card from a deck‖, is: a. elementary outcome b. compound outcome c. exclusive outcomes d. independent outcomes e. sample space f. None of the above 10. And what about ―pulling the ace of hearts from a deck of cards?‖ a. elementary outcome b. compound outcome c. exclusive outcomes d. independent outcomes e. sample space f. None of the above 11. The outcomes ―it rains in Beijing‖ and ―President McCormick gives a speech‖ are together an example of: a. elementary outcomes b. compound outcomes c. exclusive outcomes d. independent outcomes e. sample space f. not independent outcomes 12. The outcomes ―The visibility is poor and the winds are high‖ and ―some trees get blown down today‖ are together an example of:
Background image of page 2
a. elementary outcomes b. compound outcomes c. exclusive outcomes d. independent outcomes e. sample space f. not independent outcomes Conditional Probability and Bayes Theorem 13. The probability of Bing Crosby (May 3, 1903 – October 14, 1977) to sing his famous hit ―White Christmas‖ in concert is 90%. The probability that any other musician would sing ―White Christmas‖ at a concert is 20%. If we were at a live concert last night, and we heard someone singing ―White Christmas‖, what is the probability we were at a Bing Crosby concert?
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 4
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 02/20/2012 for the course 790 373 taught by Professor Boros during the Fall '09 term at Rutgers.

Page1 / 8

ReviewForEx_1.2011.Spring-v2 - Review for Exam 1. ITI 111....

This preview shows document pages 1 - 4. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online