{[ promptMessage ]}

Bookmark it

{[ promptMessage ]}

Corporate Social Responsibility - .Thats ,,,andbeasene

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Apples Corporate Social Responsibility Our environmental focus. We know that the most important thing we can do to reduce our impact on the environment is to improve our products. That’s  why we design them to use less material, ship with smaller packaging, be free of many toxic substances, and be as energy  efficient and recyclable as possible. With every new product, we continue our progress toward minimizing our environmental  impact.  About 97 percent of Apple’s carbon footprint is directly related to our products — from manufacturing to customer use to  recycling. The remaining 3 percent is related to our facilities. So while other companies talk about making their offices more  energy efficient, Apple is focused on reducing the impact our products have on the environment.  Material use. Over the past decade, Apple’s designers and engineers have pioneered the development of smaller, thinner, and lighter  products. As our products become more powerful, they’re using less material to produce and generating fewer carbon  emissions. For example, although today’s 21.5-inch iMac is more powerful and has a much larger screen than the first- generation, 15-inch iMac, it is designed with 50 percent less material and generates 35 percent fewer carbon emissions. Toxic substance removal. Designing greener products means considering the environmental impact of the materials used to make them. From the glass,  plastic, and metal in our products to the paper and ink in our packaging, our goal is to continue leading the industry in reducing  or eliminating environmentally harmful substances. The greatest environmental challenge facing our industry today is the presence of toxic substances such as arsenic,  brominated flame retardants (BFRs), mercury, phthalates, and polyvinyl chloride (PVC) in products. Although most countries  still allow use of these substances, we have worked with our manufacturing partners to eliminate them from our products. Not  only is every product we sell free of BFRs and other harmful toxins, we have also qualified thousands of components to be free  of elemental bromine and chlorine, putting us years ahead of anyone else in the industry. In addition, every display we make —  whether it’s built into a system or available as a stand-alone — features mercury-free LED backlighting and arsenic-free glass.
Image of page 1

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern