Lecture1

Lecture1 - http:/ccle.ucla.edu/course/view/11S-ASTR3-1...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–7. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
ASTRONOMY 3 ASTRONOMY 3 Nature of the Universe Nature of the Universe Prof. Ian McLean Office: PAB 3-939 Office Hours: 3-5 pm Tu/Th only Text Book : The Essential Cosmic Perspective (5 th edition) Bennett, Donahue, Schneider, & Voit. Required: Lab Manual http://ccle.ucla.edu/course/view/11S-ASTR3-1
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Five Key Themes Five Key Themes 1. We are part of the universe, and can learn about our origins by studying the universe. 2. The universe is comprehensible through science that can be understood by anyone. 3. Science is not a body of facts but rather a process through which we seek to understand the world around us by experimentation and evidence. 4. A course in astronomy is the beginning of a lifelong learning experience. 5. Astronomy affects each of us personally with the new perspectives it offers.
Background image of page 2
SYLLABUS OVERVIEW SYLLABUS OVERVIEW Developing Perspective Developing Perspective (Ch. 1-3) Key Concepts for Astronomy Key Concepts for Astronomy (Ch. 4, 5) Learning from Other Worlds Learning from Other Worlds (Ch. 6-9) Stars Stars (Ch. 10-13) Galaxies and Beyond Galaxies and Beyond (Ch. 14-17) Life on Earth and Beyond Life on Earth and Beyond (Ch. 18) http://ccle.ucla.edu/course/view/11S-ASTR3-1
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
EXAMS EXAMS Two Mid-Terms . Each Mid-Term is worth 20%. Total is 40%. Dates are: April 18 (Mon) and May 9 (Mon) [40 minutes, in class] The Final is worth 35%. Date of Final: Tuesday June 7 Therefore the total from exams is 75% All exams are Multiple Choice. I will provide Scantrons. Homework (web-based) is worth 10% Laboratory Exercises (required) are worth 15%. The total from “participation” activities is therefore 25% NOTE: NOTE: This is NOT a straight points system. Your scores are weighted. Final = 0.4(MTs)+0.35(Final)+0.15(Labs) +0.1(HW) No Make-Up exams will be allowed . If you miss an exam due to illness or a family tragedy, more weight will be placed on other exams if you have a doctor’s note.
Background image of page 4
LAB EXERCISES Compulsory … but, gives you 5 units! Make it FUN … hands-on is always best Experiments test theories – this is the Scientific Method Learn how to give precise and quantitative reports Most measurements have UNITS (e.g. meters). If you measure something, you must state the units of measurement! All measurements have uncertainties. Learn about random and systematic errors of measurement. Labs are done during weekly 2-hour sections led by TAs The TAs are backed by my authority CHEATING will NOT be tolerated. Do your own work. You must attend your own Section – TAs will explain the rules Labs meet in Knudsen 1-116
Background image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
ABSOLUTE GRADING SCALE ABSOLUTE GRADING SCALE Very generous. Scale:
Background image of page 6
Image of page 7
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 40

Lecture1 - http:/ccle.ucla.edu/course/view/11S-ASTR3-1...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 7. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online