SCFI - Topicality 2010

SCFI - Topicality 2010 - SCFI 2010 Al Jefferson Topicality...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–6. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
SCFI 2010 Topicality Al Jefferson ___ of ___ Index Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially reduce its military and/or police presence in one or more of the following: South Korea, Japan, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Iraq, Turkey. 1
Image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
SCFI 2010 Topicality Al Jefferson ___ of ___ *** PROCEDURALS *** 2
Image of page 2
SCFI 2010 Topicality Al Jefferson ___ of ___ A-Spec 1NC A. Interpretation and violation – the aff must specify which of the 3 branches of the federal government passes the plan B. Violation – they specify the ___________ C. This is a voter for Competitive equity 1. Ground – We lose agent specific counter plans and Disads 2. Conditionality – ‘resolved’ means “a firm course of action” - That’s the American Heritage dictionary – not specifying allows 2AC clarification which decks predictability – and means they are not topical 3. No solvency – no such actor as the united states federal government, only specific branches Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially reduce its military and/or police presence in one or more of the following: South Korea, Japan, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Iraq, Turkey. 3
Image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
SCFI 2010 Topicality Al Jefferson ___ of ___ A-Spec 2NC 90% of policy education comes from debates about implementation Elmore ’80 (Prof. Public Affairs at University of Washington, PolySci Quarterly 79-80, p. 605) The emergence of implementation as a subject for policy analysis coincides closely with the discovery by policy analysts that decisions are not self- executing. Analysis of policy choices matter very little if the mechanism for implementing those choices is poorly understood in answering the question, "What percentage of the work of achieving a desired governmental action is done when the preferred analytic alternative has been identified?" Allison estimated that in the normal case, it was about 10 percent, leaving the remaining 90 percent in the realm of implementation. No Solvency - The USFG does not exist Brovero ’94 (Adrienne, Debate Coach, Immigration Policies, http://www.wfu.edu/Student- organizations/debate/MiscSites/DRGArticles/Brovero1994Immigration.htm ) The problem is not that there is not a plan; this time there is one. The problem is that there is no agent specified. The federal government does not enact policies, agents or agencies within the federal government enact policies. The agent enacting a policy is a very important aspect of the policy. For some of the same reasons the affirmative team should specify a plan of action, the affirmative team should specify an agent of action. 4
Image of page 4
SCFI 2010 Topicality Al Jefferson ___ of ___ O-spec 1NC A. Interpretation and violation – the Aff must defend all three branches of the federal government – they don’t -- they specify their agent We have definitional support – ‘the’ is a mass noun American Heritage ‘2K Used before a singular noun indicating that the noun is generic: The wolf is an endangered species.
Image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Image of page 6
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern