DQ ANT 101 - Hi let me start by saying that I am sorry I...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Hi let me start by saying that I am sorry I have not posted anything until now I was having trouble, I guess you could say that I over extended myself. My daughter asked me to watch my grandson for a few days and it took more energy than I even realized it would. I forgot how time consuming a toddler can be; it has been a while since my children were young. I guess that it does take a whole village to raise a child, moving on to our discussion now. Gender and Economy DQ 1 – ANT 101 What role do women play in foraging and horticultural based societies? The role of women in foraging and horticultural based societies: The women are the primary food gathers which will allocate for 80% and the men will gather the other 20% of the meat diet. In certain arctic regions, there is little food to gather during the arctic winter, so men gather all the food and other items the people may need. The gathering of fruits, nuts, and other vegetation is extremely important. Birth spacing is also an important factor in controlling the growth of the population. Infanticide, or the killing or abandonment of newborn babies, is a form of birth spacing that women use when a baby is born deformed, when a new mother is already breastfeeding a young baby, or in times of starvation. That to me sounds extremely harsh, but if that’s the way these people live, who am I to judge. We all have our faults and down falls. How is a woman’s status impacted by her participation in food procurement? The technology employed by foragers is simple but effective. Even though the technology is simple, it requires knowledge to find and fashion the appropriate tools. The most basic tool is something called a "digging stick," used by women to dig up root products such as tubers. Woman play an important role, they are the most active when it comes to food procurement. They’re role as the gather of food has changed over the years. How is a woman’s status in these societies, compares to that of women in American society today? Modern–day hunters and gatherers probably do not live in the environments they would have exploited a millennium ago. Pushed by more dominant, powerful cultures into very marginal environments, modern foragers have been able to maintain their sociocultural patterns in a relatively isolated existence. When they desire outside contact, foragers have been able to moderate the communication mostly on their terms. In my personal opinion though women and men are hardly treated equally, I mean in less than modern times women were treated like they were second class citizens and as if they were not as important as men were. Don’t get me wrong we have come a long way but even today not all people are treated equally still. I mean I would have thought that the children of yesterday would have learned something from their parents’ mistakes why does history seem to keep repeating the bad parts in time?
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 02/23/2012 for the course ANT 101 taught by Professor Wright during the Spring '11 term at Ashford University.

Page1 / 3

DQ ANT 101 - Hi let me start by saying that I am sorry I...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online