This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: MIT OpenCourseWare http://ocw.mit.edu 2.500 Desalination and Water Purification
Amanda Adams Ray Ginther Amy Smith April 23, 2009 Overview
• • • • In tr o d u c ti o n to M e r c y a n d S h a r i n g D e s c r i p ti o n o f P a u l e tte a n d P h a e to n A v a i l a b i l i ty o f m a te r i a l s i n C a p H a i ti e n Q u e s ti o n s Phaeton feeding program Phaeton feeding program Paulette and Phaeton Courtesy of the CIA Factbook. Paulette
• P o p u l a ti o n : 1 7 5 0 ( ~ 3 5 0 fa m i l i e s ) • 1 2 s o u r c e s o f w a te r :
– 1 pumped freshwater system – 3 community wells with (broken) hand pumps – 8 hand dug bucket wells Pumped water system Pumped water system Community well Broken hand pump Hand dug bucket wells (private) Hand dug bucket wells (private) Broken rainwater system Broken rainwater system Phaeton
• Population: 2450 (~500 families) • 9 sources of water:
– 1 pumped freshwater system – 1 community wells with (broken) hand pumps – 7 hand dug bucket wells • Sisal plantation, now closed, used to employ the majority of the residents. Pumped water system Community well Community well Community well Hand dug bucket well (private) Main Street, Phaeton Main Street, Phaeton Abandoned Sisal factory Boat building Salinity ﬁeld data
Paulette Pumped system Community wells 450 ppm 3,000 ppm Phaeton 650 ppm 1,200 ppm 3,500 ppm Private bucket wells 2,300 ppm Some economics
• “Sweet” water is I gourde per bucket • E a c h fa m i l y u s e s a b o u t 5 b u c k e ts p e r day • W h i c h i s a b o u t 1 0 % o f th e i r i n c o m e Some economics
• 350 families x 5 buckets per family x 1 gourde per bucket = ~$45/day • Diesel price:
– Current price: $2.25/gallon – “Normal” price: $3.00/gallon Cap Haitien
A v a i l a b l e m a te r i a l s Metellec Hardware Hinges and handles Paint and glue Tools PVC connectors Wire and plastic sheeting Windows Pumps Batteries Pipe, extrusions and ﬂat bar More PVC (when it’s there) Electronics shop Bike parts and supplies Hole in the wall welding shop The forge Questions??? ...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 02/27/2012 for the course MECHANICAL 2.500 taught by Professor Miriambalaban during the Spring '09 term at MIT.
- Spring '09