{[ promptMessage ]}

Bookmark it

{[ promptMessage ]}

Chapter 6 Bio Notes - Chapter 6 Notes The Composition and...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Chapter 6 Notes The Composition and Functions of Blood -Blood is divided into two layers. - Formed Elements . *Red Blood Cells. *White Blood Cells. *Platelets. - Plasma. Characteristics of blood -Blood temp. 100.4 degrees F -pH 7.4 - 8% of total body weight - 5-6 liters in normal male/ 4-5 in female - (~12 PINTS) Functions of Blood -Transport of oxygen, hormones, and waste. -Defense against pathogens. -Regulation of body temperatures. Plasma -Water makes up 92% of plasma , while the remaining 8% consists of various salts and organic molecules. -Plasma is the matrix of this connective tissue. -Three major plasma proteins help to maintain homeostasis. -Albumins. (reg. blood volume) -Globulins. (antibody production) -alpha, beta, gama globulins -Fibrinogen. (clotting) Red Blood Cells -Red blood cells (erythrocytes) contain hemoglobin that allow oxygen transport. -4 heme proteins with one Fe molecule each. Fe binds with oxygen *and carbon dioxide) in lungs -Disk shaped in normal condition -Sickle cell anemia (more to come later) -No nucleus (except in amphibians.)
Image of page 1

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern