{[ promptMessage ]}

Bookmark it

{[ promptMessage ]}

MMR3B - placed in a 10 mL-graduated cylinder and was filled...

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Layla FIjany and Sahar Meshkat Bio 3A – AM Lab Hypothesis: Sucrose and sucralose will inhibit the growth of Stahylococcus aureus . Materials and Methods Three trials were run in this study to examine zones of growth inhibition of Staphylococcus aureus in a nutrient agar in response to sucrose and sucralose solutions. All measurements were conducted at Saddleback College in Mission Viejo, CA from 2 November to 10 November 2011. Trial one consisted of 5 agar plates of 5%, 10% and 20% solutions of sucrose and sucralose (separately) made with DI water, for a total of 30 experimental plates and included an additional 10 control plates made with DI water. Trial two tested 30%, 40% and 50% solutions of sucrose and sucralose, as well as the control. Trial three tested 80%, 90% and 100% solutions of sucrose and sucralose, with the DI water control. Each trial was conducted with the same procedure. The agar solution was prepared with 23 g of agar and 1000mL of DI water and was heated to boil until clear. The dry mass of the sucrose and sucralose was first measures then
Background image of page 1
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: placed in a 10 mL-graduated cylinder and was filled up to 10mL with DI water. Percent solutions and agar (liguid) were placed in the autoclave to be sterilized. Forty Petri dishes were filled with agar and once hardened, 0.3 mL of Staphylococcus aureus was transferred onto each plate using aseptic technique. Three chads were placed on each agar plate with 5 µL of corresponding solution, that were placed equidistance from each other in a traingle formation. After all the agar plates were completely prepared, they were placed in an incubator set at 37 ˚C. Trial 1 was incubated for 45 hours; trial 2 and 3 were incubated for 18 hours. After the incubation period, zones of inhibition were measured (or lack thereof). Results There were no zones of inhibition present; therefore the mean diameter of the growth inhibition was 0.0 cm. This result was observed for all three trials, included 5%, 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, 50%, 80%, 90%, 100% and for all of the water control experiments as well....
View Full Document

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

Ask a homework question - tutors are online