Lecture 23_ Haitians

Lecture 23_ Haitians - 3/1/12 Lecture 23: Haitians Le cture...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
3/1/12 Lecture 23: Haitians 1/2 www2.fiu.edu/Agirardc/4700Haitian23.htm Lecture 23: Haitians I. Independence 1804: only success slave rebel;recognize—France 25 yrs,US 60+ yrs Before: maybe richest colony in world,France estab.1665;40K whites,452K slaves U.S. Invasion 1915: oust Germans,control finances; treasury gold go NY; to 1934 II. Immigration: 400,000-500,000 settled in U.S.—NY,Miami,Boston,Chicago, Phily A. 1st: start en masse @1950s,elite,mid class flee Duvalier to NE U.S., later W-C B. 2 nd :boat people: start 1972,climb to 25,000in1980 (700 mi trip),take10-14 days 1. males: unskilled work, esp. fieldcropping, some repair work in Haiti 2. women: petty commerce in make-shift stands, flea markets,door/door 3. average eduction: less than elementary school, 5% high school grads 4. 85% settle in S. Florida: remaining 15% NY and New Jersey C.³Boeing People´ educated come by plane;most in Miami fromNE:Montreal,NY 1. occupations: establish businesses, toehold in law enforce, educ, med. a.
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 2

Lecture 23_ Haitians - 3/1/12 Lecture 23: Haitians Le cture...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online