C12-Chp-06-2-Rev-Rul-1968-348-Cost-Recovery - REV-RUL...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Revenue Ruling 68-348, 1968-2 CB 141 SECTION 346.--PARTIAL LIQUIDATION DEFINED 26 CFR 1.346-1: Partial liquidation. (Also Sections 331, 1012; 1.331-1, 1.1012-1.) A series of corporate liquidation distributions must be prorated among a shareholder's separate blocks of stock. [Text] Advice has been requested concerning the proper Federal income tax treatment of amounts received by a shareholder pursuant to a series of distributions in complete liquidation of a corporation under the circumstances described below. On October 1, 1966, X corporation adopted a plan of complete liquidation. Under the plan X intended to distribute all of its assets, other than those required to meet claims, to its sole shareholder, A, within the 12- month period beginning on the date of adoption of the plan. A, a calendar year taxpayer, had acquired 40 percent of the 200 outstanding shares of X stock (first block) at a cost of 80 x dollars (or 1 x dollar per share) on January 1, 1960, and had acquired the remaining 60 percent of X stock (second block) at a cost of 360 x dollars (or 3 x dollars per share) on February 10, 1963. On November 1, 1966, X sold all its assets for 1,000 x dollars (500 x dollars cash and negotiable notes with a fair market value of 500 x dollars). On December 1, 1966, X distributed 500 x dollars to A pursuant to its plan of liquidation. At that time the adjusted basis of each of A' s blocks of stock in X was its cost. On January 2, 1967,
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 03/09/2012 for the course ACCT 6120 taught by Professor Godfrey,h during the Spring '08 term at UNC Charlotte.

Page1 / 2

C12-Chp-06-2-Rev-Rul-1968-348-Cost-Recovery - REV-RUL...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online