chap5 - Investments, Chapter 5 Answers to Selected Problems...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: Investments, Chapter 5 Answers to Selected Problems 8. During a period of severe ination, a bond oered a nominal HPR of 80 percent per year. The ination rate was 70 percent per year. a . What was the real HPR on the bond over the year? Answer: Let r denote the nominal return on the bond and let i denote the ination rate. Then the real HPR is given by 1 + r 1 + i-1 = 1 . 80 1 . 70-1 = 5 . 88% . b . Compare this real HPR to the approximation R = r-i . Answer: With the approximation, we get R = r-i = 80%-70% = 10% . Clearly, R = r-i is not a good approximation for large values of r and i . Use Table 1 to answer problems 9 through 11. Bear Market Normal Market Bull Market Probability 0.2 0.5 0.3 Stock X-20% 18% 50% Stock Y-15% 20% 10% Table 1: Table for problems 9 through 11. 1 9. What is the expected return for stocks X and Y ? Answer: The expected return for stock X is E [ r X ] = . 2 (-20%) + . 5 18% + . 3 50% = 20% . The expected return for stock Y is E [ r Y ] = . 2 (-15%) + . 5 20% + . 3 10% = 10% ....
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 03/01/2012 for the course FINANCE 780 taught by Professor Scott during the Spring '12 term at Missouri State University-Springfield.

Page1 / 4

chap5 - Investments, Chapter 5 Answers to Selected Problems...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online