corrections to Study Guide - E RRATA Study Guide and...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: E RRATA Study Guide and Solutions Manual, Fifth Edition by Marc Loudon and Joseph G. Stowell to accompany Organic Chemistry, 5th Edition, by Marc Loudon Date of this release: May 2, 2011 Items marked with an asterisk (*) were corrected in the second printing. Chapter 1 p. 2 In the second line from the bottom, the expression should be 4.8 ! 10 10 , not 4.8 10 10 . p. 10 Figure SG1.5b is wrong. The answer to Problem 1.19(c) is correct, but the accompanying Figure SG1.5b should be as follows: p. 12 In the solution to Problem 1.32(a), in the 6th line, the reduction in % s character should be 2.8%. This error propagates to the remaining calculations. Here is a corrected answer beginning with line 6: 2.2/0.78 = 2.8%. Therefore, the hybrid orbitals in the NH bonds have 25% 2.8% = 22.2% s character. Since there are three such bonds, they account for (3)(22.2%) = 66.6% of an s orbital. The unshared pair contains the rest of the s character: 33.4% of an s orbital. In terms of p character, each NH bond contains 100% 22.2% = 77.8% p character. The NH bonds contain a total of (3)(77.8%) = 233.4% (that is 2.33) p orbitals; the lone pair contains the remaining p character, or 3 2.33 = 0.67 of a p orbital. Therefore, the hybridization of the hybrid orbitals in the NH bonds is s 22.2 p 77.8 . Normalizing to an s character of 1, the hybridization of these orbitals is sp 3.5 , and the hybridization of the lone-pair orbital is s 0.33 p 0.67 , or sp 2.0 . Chapter 2 p. 17 In the first display, the condensed formula for isopentane should have two, not three, methyl groups. It should be (CH 3 ) 2 CHCH 2 CH 3 . Fifth Edition Study Guide-Solutions Manual Errata, May 2, 2011, p. 2 p. 20 In Problem 2.10(a), one carbon has two labels. The correct label should be t . The correct structure is p. 21 The name in the solution to Problem 2.13(a) has incorrect numbers. The name should be 1,1,2,4- tetraethyl-3-methylcyclobutane. p. 23 In Problem 2.32(a), the substituent name dimethyl should be cited before propyl. Chapter 3 p. 36 Although the solution to the problem is correct, there are two errors leading up to it. First, the initial equation is wrong (font errors by the compositor): K eq = 10 " G /2.30 RT = 10 (2.93)/5.71 = 10 0.513 = 3.26 Then, in the second equation below the table, there is a superfluous = sign and a minor numerical error; the equation should read x 2 ! 0.607 x + 0.02 = The correct quadratic expression and the solution follow from this. p. 44 In Solution 3.46, second equation, the AH in the denominator of the first factor should be in brackets to indicate concentration, i.e. , [AH]. K AH K BH = [A ][H 3 O + ] [AH] !...
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 03/13/2012 for the course CHEM 2183 at Cornell University (Engineering School).

Page1 / 10

corrections to Study Guide - E RRATA Study Guide and...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online