This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: lerance
10 Conditioned response : Influence of the US on the CR
C. Compensatory CRs Siegel (1977) • Reduction of the analgesic effects of morphine in rats with training
• Injection/handling cues = CS, Morphine = US
• Reduction in the effectiveness of CS (i.e. tolerance) = Conditioning
• Saline (placebo) injections lead to extinction; without injections full tolerance remains. Tolerance (compensatory CR) develops Saline injections No injection 11 Reflexive nature of the conditioned response
CR can be maladaptive…
Hearst & Jenkins (1974)
- Pigeons autoshaped in a long arena. Key light and hopper separated by 60 cm. Subjects often missed the US as a consequence of not
getting to the hopper in time.
- CR was still maintained! Williams & Williams (1969)
- Omission schedule - Pigeons given conventional autoshaping. US omitted if CR (pecking)
was performed. Pecking still continued! 12 Blocking Stronger CR in Group C
Than Group E Kamin (1969)
Group Element conditioning Compound conditioning Test Group E Noise → Shock Noise & Light → Shock Light Group C - Noise & Light → Shock Light “…perhaps, for an increment in an assoc...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 03/24/2012 for the course PSYC 103 taught by Professor Pearlberg during the Spring '07 term at UCSD.
- Spring '07