Unformatted text preview: states.
Little change from generation to generation, probably genetically determined Birdsong: More complex, involving sequences of syllables and notes. Learning important Marler (1970) - Studied variations in the song of the white-crowned sparrow
- Isolated birds of different ages for various intervals
- Development of bird song depends upon exposure to song when between 10 and 50 days old Baptista & Petrinovich (1984, 1986)
- Sparrows can still learn if older than 50 days
- Can learn the song of a different species: strawberry finch Petrinovich (1988)
- Sparrows can learn any song they attend to
- Better at learning from a live tutor as the constant variation maintains attention to the
Ethological model of communication: use of a ‘signal’ to influence the
behavior of another individual. behavior Communication is a closed system Human Language and Animal Communication
Limited vs unbounded signal sets: Most animals communicate about
a limited range of items (food, sex, predators, etc) using a fixed a...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 03/24/2012 for the course PSYC 103 taught by Professor Pearlberg during the Spring '07 term at UCSD.
- Spring '07