This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: GEO 1013
Third Planet Chapter 1 - Minerals EARTH MATERIALS
• All Earth materials are composed of atoms
• Minerals are composed of atoms bonded
• Minerals are the building blocks of rocks
• Rocks are composed of minerals and
they record various geologic processes
they WHY STUDY MINERALS?
• They can be things of
beauty and value
• Rocks are made up of
– Combinations of
minerals and how
they make up a rock
• Information on the
geologic origin of an
• This is a geology
course LECTURE OUTLINE • What are minerals?
• Atomic structure of minerals
• Diagnostic properties of minerals MINERALS
Definition of a mineral:
• Naturally occurring,
• homogeneous solid,
• inorganically formed,
• definite chemical composition, and
• ordered atomic arrangement ...
View Full Document
- Spring '07