This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ate University Classification of Casting Processes
1. Green Sand
2. Dry Sand
Chemical Sand Molding
1. Shell Molding
2. Sodium Silicate Molding 1.
5. Special Casting Processes
Ceramic Shell Molding
Expendable Mold Casting
Vacuum Sealed Molding
Centrifugal Casting Permanent Mold Processes
1. Gravity Die Casting
2. Low/High Pressure Die Cast Department of Materials Science and Engineering 18 NC State University Shell Mold Casting
- Yields better surface quality and tolerances
- Pattern made of metal, heated (175-370C) and lubricated
- Covered with sand and resin/epoxy binder
- Shell is broken to get the part Making the shell mold (Kalpakjian and Schmid) Department of Materials Science and Engineering Shell Mold Casting 19 NC State University Expendable Pattern Casting (Lost Foam)
- Pattern made from polystyrene in aluminum molding (PS +
- Pattern dipped in slurry of water and clay to get hard shell
- Placed in container with sand or shot for support
- Part is removed by breaking the shell Department of Materials Science and Engineering 20 NC State University Plaster or Ceramic Mold Casting
- Plaster Mold Casting
- Mold made from plaster of paris (CaSO4) wit...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 04/24/2012 for the course MSE 440 taught by Professor Mathaudhu during the Fall '11 term at N.C. State.
- Fall '11