This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ting point metals Department of Materials Science and Engineering 24 NC State University Die Casting
- - Hot Chamber – used for Zn and Mg alloys; metals that have a
low melting point and don t alloy with die material (steel) – can t
use Sn, Zn or Pb
- - Cold Chamber: Used for Al and Cu alloys
- - Molds are expensive ( dies )
- - Surface rarely requires post-processing
- - Used for home appliances/toys/hand-tools Department of Materials Science and Engineering 25 NC State University Centrifugal Casting
- - Permanent mold rotated about it s axis at speeds of 300 –
- - Parts have fine grain structure – used for making pipes
- - Impurities get left in the inner diameter Department of Materials Science and Engineering 26 NC State University Defects Department of Materials Science and Engineering...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 04/24/2012 for the course MSE 440 taught by Professor Mathaudhu during the Fall '11 term at N.C. State.
- Fall '11