ANTH2.docx - Scarce Resources in the Kalahari- Richard B...

This preview shows page 1 - 2 out of 4 pages.

Scarce Resources in the Kalahari- Richard B Lee(ANTH 1120 A)Humzah Hashmi: 215636301Meghna GeorgeMonday 1:30The view of the hunter gatherer subsistence by current day anthropologists hastwo views. The first is that they are very dependent of the hunting of animals and thesecond is that their overall life is basically a struggle for existence. However thatcouldn't be further from the truth. The !Kung bushmen of Botswana live in independentcamps that lack firearms, livestock and agriculture. They are entirely dependent ofhunting and gathering for their way of life. There are also very little outside interactionssuch as governments, tourists etc. Each of these camps have an associated waterhole.It's also important to know that the size of these camps changes from day to day and isnot a fixed setting. Vegetable food is about 60 to 80% of the total diet which is gatheredmostly by the women while the remaining 20% is wild game hunted by the men. By thedefinition of abundance, the !Kung bushmen have a wide variety of naturally occurringfood. The mangago nut which makes up 50% of the vegetable diet is very abundant astens of thousand of pounds are harvested each year while many pounds also end uprotting. These nuts are very nutritiousand drought resistance, so they are available inthe dry season too. The bushmen also have many other plants available for them to eat.

Upload your study docs or become a

Course Hero member to access this document

Upload your study docs or become a

Course Hero member to access this document

End of preview. Want to read all 4 pages?

Upload your study docs or become a

Course Hero member to access this document

Term
Spring
Professor
N/A
Tags
Anthropology, Famine, Malnutrition, World Food Programme, kung bushmen

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture