Unformatted text preview: Taylor Kovalycsik
Final Review Terms
1. Moral Treatment- popularized in 1793 by Dr. Phillippe Pinel as a new way of caring for the
ill. He created asylums for patients, designed to rehabilitate and eventually release them back into
2. Myths about Mental Disorders- Mentally ill patients are extremely weird most patients
mental illness are hard to distinguish.
mental illness hopeless most mental illnesses are manageable and can be overcome through
There is a clear distinction between mentally ill and mentally healthy many times, mental
more subtle and less distinct.
mentally ill individuals are crazed, violent people mentally ill patients are more likely to harm
themselves than others.
3. NNaghten Rule- Insanity defense; during the moment, the individual could not distinguish
right and wrong.
4. Nancy Cruzan- (1990) parents have the right to take their children off a feeding tube.
5. Neurosis- less severe than psychosis; little distortion of reality; can still interact with society.
6. Nude dancing/ self perceptions- Many dancers do not consider their work disreputable; some
empowering and view it as them controlling the situation (and men) as a means of attaining
7. Nude dancing/ wages- most dancers earn a decent wage about $25,000-$75,000 a year; their
expected to tip male workers (DJs, bouncers)
View Full Document