This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: re oxygen. Pyruvate is converted to acetyl-CoA
• Pyruvate must first be
transported to the mitochondria.
• Catalyzed by a multienzyme
complex called pyruvate
• Contains 3 different enzymes
and 60 polypeptide chains.
• Intermediates are ‘passed’ from
one enzyme to another
(proximity and orientation of the
active sites limits diffusion) The Citric Acid Cycle
• Both sugars and fats enter the TCA cycle as
• Fatty acids are converted to acetyl CoA in the
mitochondria by a series of four enzymes. Energy production from the...
View Full Document